Robert Kiyosaki said, “ The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire, the size of your dream and how you handle disappointment all the way.” So, take initiative, follow up persistently and your small steps will take you to success.
Nervous about your job Interviews? Many of us do. The reason is that we’re more than eager about the job, and our eagerness leads to our stress.
Undoubtedly, the situation is stressful yet you’re required to overcome it, boost your own confidence as it is nothing to lose. Ultimately if you succeed, you will gain something that you’re eagerly looking forward to.
So, instead of getting nervous, tighten your seat belts and prepare yourself for the upcoming interview.
Follow these simple steps that will definitely boost your confidence and help you succeed in the interview:
Step 1: ARE YOU PREPARED FOR THE INTERVIEW?
Are you confused about how to start preparing for your interview, what to do, how to do it? Here are some tips for you:
- Gather all the information about your interview, venue of the interview, mode of interview, procedure, reporting time, list of documents that you need to carry during the interview etc. Keep yourself free on the day and time of the interview to avoid last-minute hustle and bustle.
- Never forget to gather information about the organization, its policies and its authorities. It will help you guess the expected questions they may ask during the interview. It will also help you understand the expectations of the employer and its match with your profile, interests and skills.
- Be prepared for unexpected delays and keep the margin at both ends. Reaching the destination well on time keeps you stress-free and enhances your confidence. Moreover, no after commitments keeps you relaxed and stress-free during the interview.
- Prepare a Checklist of the material to be carried during the interview viz resume, interview letter, important documents ( educational certificates, professional documents etc), photocopies, photograph, paper, pen, stapler, fevistick etc.
- Prepare a list of expected questions and their suitable responses. This will make you feel confident.
Step 2: CONFUSED WHAT TO WEAR?
Well said, the first impression is the last impression. So, dress neatly and gracefully as your appearance tells a lot about you. Your appearance says a lot about you.
Ensure that :
- Wear neat and clean, well-ironed clothes.
- Get a proper haircut or tie it properly to suit your personality.
- Trim your nails properly.
- Use unscented deodorant. Avoid the use of any sort of fragrance/ perfume/ aftershave etc.
- Take a proper shower or bath and also wash your hair.
- Avoid visible tattoos etc.
- Take a light meal before the interview.
- Ensure sound sleep on the night before the interview.
So, organize yourself well beforehand, dress smartly and interview to create a great impression. Dress yourself to succeed.
Step 3 NERVOUS ABOUT INTERVIEW?
Don’t be nervous about the interview, rather be prepared and try mock interviews as practice makes you perfect. You can take professional support or can ask a friend or family member to
It’s important to remember that a job interview is not just the test of your knowledge, it is its appropriate and suitable application at the right time.
You’re required to prepare yourself for the expected interview questions that your employer could ask and suitable answers to these questions :
Some commonly asked questions are :
- Introduce yourself- It is the first and the most important question that is being asked in an interview as it decides the further course of the interview. It gives the interviewer an idea of the set of questions he/she may ask you. Be well prepared for it. Introduce yourself in the way you want yourself to be cross-questioned thereafter.
- Why do you want to join this organization?
- Share your strengths or weaknesses- Pick them wisely in such a way that your weaknesses also look like your strength.
- How can you be an asset to the organization?
- Academic/ professional background
- Favourite subject- questions based on in etc
Draft your own strategy for the interview:
- Be confident and presentable.
- Be honest and prompt in answering. If you don’t know the answer, straight away say “ No idea/ I’ll get back to you on this” instead of running around the bush.
- Speak clearly and maintain eye contact with the interview.
- Take care of your body language. Avoid unnecessary movement of hands/ feet etc.
- Prove your worth to your interviewer through your confidence. Avoid being too desperate or overconfident.
- Don’t say anything negative about the previous employer. Remember, if he/she is too bad, why did you work there? Or if they’re not too bad, why do you want to change?
Step 4 HOW TO BE THE BEST VERSION OF YOU AT THE INTERVIEW?
Outcomes are unpredictable but good impressions mean a lot. So, stay calm and ace for your interview. Be so good that they can’t ignore you.
Important things to remember during the interview:
- Enter the room with a smile and greet the interviewer. Be energetic and enthusiastic.
- Sit straight and confidently on the chair and try to maintain eye contact with the interviewer. It’s alright to smile if you find it appropriate.
- Proceed as per the mood of the interviewer. He/She may start asking questions from you directly or may give you a lot of details about the job profile or organization or even about their own experiences. Understand the flow with a wave and react accordingly.
- Articulate your skills and move forward with your abilities. Remain composed and enthusiastic through your responses.
- Don’t be shy/nervous as it’s the best time to show your abilities.
- Don’t worry if the interviewer is making notes of your responses. It only helps him/her to review your profile in the future and helps in taking decisions accordingly.
- The interviewer may ask you if you have any questions related to the job profile/organization/salary/ duties assigned/ expectations from the job/ job security etc. Feel free to ask such questions. Be prepared for it using the information you had already gathered about it in step 1.
Few more tips:
- Reach the destination 10-15 minutes before reporting time.
- Carry your handbag/ folder/ water bottle with you.
- Relax for a minute and take deep breaths. Visualize your interview going well.
- Avoid eating anything be it chocolate or chewing gum during an interview.
- Pick up your words wisely. No use of slang language.
- Be prepared to answer about the salary expected. Don’t hesitate but avoid quoting the amount that is considered too high by the employer as per your experience/ organization. In that case, make your response positive by making it negotiable.
Step 5 HOW TO CONCLUDE YOUR INTERVIEW?
You’re expected to conclude your interview with confidence. It is an opportunity to showcase your skills and abilities that did not come up in the interview. Try to bring the best of you that might have been left untouched during the interview.
- Always conclude your interview with greetings and a smile.
- Don’t forget to convey a thank you note to the interviewer.
- You may ask when you can expect to hear from them.
- Review the interview and pen down your shortcomings during the interview. It will help you perform better next time.
Above all, whatever the outcome is, conclude it with a very happy note. Take it as a new learning experience- learn from your own mistakes and groom your skills and success is yours.